Saturday, May 22, 2010

Southern Magnolia?

Hey all. I have a couple of Southern Magnolias (the original strain) One is about 8 feet in height and the other maybe 4. I live near St. Louis, MO and it gets fairly cold from mid October or so through Early April. I currently have them in 3-5 gallon planters filled with miracle grow soil. My question is how can I minimize winter damage (snow, cold winds ect??) I mean I could move them near my hot tub out of the wind but they wouldn't get as much sun (if any) I also have some DD Blanchard Varieties planted but supposedly they can tolerate the cold. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Southern Magnolia?
I would take them out of the containers and plant them in a direction not facing the north.


I'm in zone 6 just south of St. Louis they grow exceedingly well here and in the city. Just not sure about the direction. The link below gives you a multitude of informational links to choose from. I just lost 4 japanese maples in that late freeze we had. All facing north!


Good Luck!


Links:


Information About Magnolias


http://home.att.net/~velvet-hammer/infor...
Reply:plant the 8' in sun,the 4' near protction


No comments:

Post a Comment