Thursday, May 20, 2010

New Magnolia Tree Problem?

Hi. I live in the Seattle area, and I recently planted (6 months ago) a magnolia tree in my front yard. It's currently about a foot high.





It has been unseasonably dry in the Pacific NW, so I'm not sure if the tree is just dry or if something else is going on. Some of the leaves look burnt, and they are starting to turn from green to a yellowish color. I've been watering the tree about once a week. However, I am afraid of drowning it if I water it too much.





Should I just water it more? Or is there some type of fertilizer or tree food I can use? Thanks!!

New Magnolia Tree Problem?
It doesn't need fertilizer right now. Just get it on it's feet, so to speak. All any plant needs is water, decent soil, air, and light.


If you're watering it regularly and the leaves are turning yellow, that means you're over watering it. Too much water can look just like not enough water, as the roots are rotting and the plant then has now way to get the water up into itself. I'd let it fully dry out for a second, then water it. Remember, moist soil, not mud. Help it along, but don't mother it to death.
Reply:Don't fertilize it this year.


Dig down near the tree, but outside the rootball. How deeply is the ground wet? I'm almost willing to bet you need to water it more. (I'm a few hours S of you, in the Willamette Valley -- my first year trees get an hour's slow trickle once a week this summer, and they're still a bit on the dry side). Try giving it a good long soak once a week if the root zone depth is not moist.





If the soil is soggy, you also have your answer, and you can decrease the watering.

shoe buckles

No comments:

Post a Comment