Thursday, May 20, 2010

I just planted a true Southern Magnolia.?

I planted it in my front yard, there is not much of anything to shelter it from the cold wind in the winter. This is a true Southern Magnolia, not a northern hardy version like a Brackens or DD Blanchard. It's about 6 feet tall and I covered it with 3 inches of Redwood Mulch to preserve moisture now and keep it warmer in the winter. My question is, is there anything I can do now to strengthen it's root system (thereby strengthening it's leaves and the tree as well) before out first freezes start (around the middle of October, I'm near St. Louis, MO and on the map it lists my area as an adaptable range, plus I bought it at a local nursery and the lady said it can take temps down to 0, which we rarely get. Any advice, suggestions are appreciated!

I just planted a true Southern Magnolia.?
Such a wonderful tree. Congratulations.





Check out this link:


http://www.treehelp.com/trees/magnolia/m...
Reply:if you like the 'true' southern magnolia, pray do not 'limb it up' to where a body can walk under it to mow or whatever... that's the one worst thing you can do.... that tree will shed like crazy and if it's up off the ground, you'll be raking the rest of your life and its'.....let the Lady have her skirts to the ground!!!... that hides all the litter and there's no way anything will grow under that tree anyways... no grass, no pretty flowers, etc.... just let the tree grow naturally.... it will be so much nicer.....





suggest that for the first winter or two you wrap the trunk against sun damage and splitting.... loosely with burlap will do fine.....


No comments:

Post a Comment