Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Little gem Magnolia dying after planting, transplant shock or what?>?

I just planted five little gem magnolias around my yard about 2 weeks ago. Now they are all brown with very few green leaves left. I mixed the soil with peat and manure and also planttone and have been keeping it on a regular watering schedule. Also, I have planted several other plants including rhods and azaleas and they are doing fine. Now, the reason I think it is transplant shock is when I planted them I only had time to do three first then I waited a couple days to do the other two. When I planted the other two I noticed the ones in the containers looked beautiful but the ones in the ground were starting to wilt. What should I do!? These are mature plants the came from 15 gallon containers.

Little gem Magnolia dying after planting, transplant shock or what?%26gt;?
did you plant too deep?





you should be able to see the trunk getting slightly wider at the bottom before it reaches the soil if it is the same width at soil level and a foot or so above it has been planted too deeply. remove this soil.








If that's not the problem then water them really deeply (don't fertilize)and hope for the best, wilting is not dying, but once trees reach the death spiral they don't recover.
Reply:You shouldn't plant trees in the summer. The best time to plant is fall or winter. I tried the same thing once and had the exact same problem. Some plants are more susceptible to this than others. Wish I could help you figure out what to do. Call the nursery you bought them from and ask for advice. If they sold you the trees, the least they could do is help you salvage them.


No comments:

Post a Comment